Did you know that your cell phone comes with a built-in feature which allows you to turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot ? Both android and iOS devices come with this feature. By setting the configurations, you can change your phone to a wireless router. Your phone can provide internet access for your lap top, tablet, or your other phone devices. Connecting to a phone hotspot is as easy as connecting to any WiFi hotspot . Now , if you are looking for the way to use this cool feature, heed these steps.
How to create a WiFi hotspot with Android phone
These steps allows you to use your Android device as a WiFi network and share its cellular data connection.
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Wireless & Networks section and tap on More.
- Choose Tethering & Portable Hotspot, this section might be in the main Settings section.
- Check the box next to Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot item. If the hotspot is on, you may need to check some additional settings as well. If the option is disabled and you can’t turn it on, it may be because your phone doesn’t come with this option or your service provider doesn’t support this option.
- Now tap on Set Up Wi-Fi Hotspot item. Now give the hotspot a name or SSID and assign a password.
- To turn the hotspot off, just uncheck the box next to Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot .
How to create a WiFi hotspot on iOS
With this feature, you can share your iPhone’s cellular connection with your lap top or any other device. Follow these steps on how to do that:
- Open Settings from your springboard.
- Tap on Personal Hotspot and switch it to turn it on.
- Now tap on WiFi Password to create password for the network you have created.
- Enter a password of at least eight characters and tap on Done.
Now you can refer to your other device and go to the section that you can see the available WiFi networks. Find the one which is your phone and enter the password to connect. To disable it, simply slide the Personal Hotspot switch to the Off position.
- Some of cellular internet providers may not charge you additional cost for your phone’s hotspot. But some of them may. So be sure to check your provider’s rules and regulations in order to avoid unwanted extra fees.
- Using your phone as hotspot eats up the battery. So, don’t forget to turn it off after you have used it in order to prevent battery drain.
- If your provider doesn’t support hotspot feature, you can download and install a third-party app. There are a number of such apps available both in Google Play and App Store.