WhatsApp is a widely used application loved by many people around the world. WhatsApp offers a number of great features for its users and that is why it has the biggest user base in the world. One of the features that was added to WhatsApp earlier this year was WhatsApp status. In this section of WhatsApp, you can add a text, a photo, or a video and tell your friends what you are thinking about or how you feel. You can also check your friends’ WhatsApp statuses to find out where they are or what they are doing. Here is a complete tutorial to whatever you need to know about this great feature of WhatsApp.
Who can see my WhatsApp status?
WhatsApp is an application which is concerned about the privacy of your personal data. As you can set who can view your last seen status, you can as well set who can view your status. This can ensure that no one would be able to spy on WhatsApp account of you.
By default, only your contacts are able to view your status, but WhatsApp settings allow you to change that.
In order to change privacy settings for your status go to:
On Android devices, tap the menu button > Status Privacy.
On iPhone, tap on the status tab > Privacy.
You will have three options you can choose from to manage your WhatsApp status privacy:
- My Contacts: Only your WhatsApp contacts will be able to view your status
- My Contacts Except…: You can select the people you don’t want to view your status. You can choose them from your contacts
- Only Share With…: You can select the contacts that will be able to view your status
what you need to remember is that when you update your status and you change your privacy settings, the changes will be applied to your future updates and not to your recent WhatsApp status.
How to view your friends’ status
Viewing your friends’ status on WhatsApp is a lot like Snapchat stories or Instagram stories. Here is all the basic things you need to know:
- Open the status tab and you will see a list of statuses uploaded by your friends
- Holding your finger on the screen will pause the status and you will have more time to view it
- Tap on the screen to skip a status
- Swipe left to go to the next person
- Swipe up to send a reply to a status you are viewing
How to update your WhatsApp status
All the stickers, text captions and drawings that you can have with Instagram or Snapchat are also present on whatsApp. Here is how you can update your WhatsApp status:
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone
- Tap on the camera icon and take a photo or video or choose a pre-existing one from your camera roll
- Add a caption or place emojis on your photo or video to make it more interesting
- Tap on the paper airplane icon
You can choose to send your status directly to a friend, which will be shown as a photo or video within a conversation thread, or you can tap My Status at the top of the list to update your Status.
GIFs and videos for WhatsApp status
On apps such as Snapchat, the videos that you can share can be no longer than 10 seconds. But on WhatsApp, you can record and share videos as long as 45 seconds. Also, you can use GIFs saved to your gallery as your status.
Your WhatsApp status will remain active for 24 hours, after which it disappears. Also, there isn’t a way to save a status to your phone. Whatever you capture and create in WhatsApp is limited to WhatsApp.
Find out who viewed your status
At the bottom of your screen you can see a counter which shows how many of your friends have viewed your WhatsApp status. You can also swipe up on the screen to see the names of the contacts who have viewed your status.