What is hack? To put it simple, In computer sciences hacking means accessing someones computer without their permission. It is any technical effort to manipulate the normal behavior of network connections and connected systems and hacker is the person who is engaged in hacking. Nowadays, hacking generally refers to malicious programming attacks and any type of hack is considered to be cybercrime. Now you can have every reason to look for a way to safeguard yourself from hacking. But before that, you need to have an understanding of different types of hack and hackers. Here is all you need to know about hack.
What is cyber crime?
Cyber crime is the act of using computers and networks to perform illegal activities such as spreading computer viruses, online bullying, performing unauthorized electronic money transfers, etc. Most cyber crimes are committed through the internet.
Types of cyber crime
There are different types of cyber crime that might involve hacking. Here are some of them:
- Computer fraud: Using computer systems to deceive people to gain personal benefits
- Privacy violation: Exposing other people’s personal data on the internet
- Identity theft: Stealing someones’ personal information and impersonate them
- Sharing copyrighted files/information: Sharing files that are protected by copyright laws on the internet
- Spam: Sending unauthorized emails. These emails usually contain advertisements
- Electronic funds transfer: This involves gaining an un-authorized access to bank computer networks and making illegal fund transfers
Who is a hacker?
A hacker is a person who finds weaknesses in networks and tries to exploit those weaknesses to gain an unauthorized access to someone’s information. Usually hackers are people with professional computer knowledge and experts in computer security. Hackers are usually classified based on their intents. Here is a list of different types of hackers.
White hat hacker
This type of hackers include hackers who are experts in security and their job is to detect and fix weaknesses of the network system. This type of hackers usually work in big companies such as Microsoft, Google or Cisco and they provide security for the networks by identifying the weaknesses.
Black hat hacker
This type of hackers are placed exactly as apposed to white hat hackers and they intend on hacking networks and stealing sensitive data. They try to hack networks, steal data and finally corrupt the whole system. These hackers are able to create the most harmful attacks to the networks and this means that they have the highest level of programing. What these hackers can do includes creating apps that can hack WhatsApp or hack Instagram.
Grey hat hacker
As the name implies, these hackers are somewhere between white hat hackers and black hat hackers. What these hackers do is hacking malware websites or websites belonging to ISIS for example. So, it can be said that these hackers perform hacking for good causes.
Pink hat hackers
These hackers are usually 15 to 25 years old and they don’t have much knowledge of programming. They usually use pre-written apps to hack someone in order to show their power or boost their self confidence.
Cracker is a black hat hacker who aims at making changes to the paid apps so that you won’t need to pay to use them. By doing so, they violate copyright and they let themselves and other people use a particular paid app for free.
In order to be a hacker and be able to hack a particular network, the persons needs to master a number of skills. Here are the most essential ones:
- Mathematics: the ability to work with numbers is essential. Hacker usually needs to go through a large amount of data including codes and numbers and analyze them.
- Logical reasoning: Hacking involves assembling facts and details to plan an attack with a logical knowledge of how computer systems work.
- Patience: Hacking is a complex process and tends to take a lot of time and energy.