Cyber security is defined as the technologies, processes and practices which are designed to protect networks, devices, programs, and data from attacks, damages, or unauthorized access. It is also defined as information technology security. Effective cybersecurity measures can reduce the risks of cyber attacks.
The importance of cyber security
If you don’t consider any security measures for your network or devices, you are actually waiting to be attacked. The fact is, in the past few years, cyber crime has increased so rapidly and it has created issues for all businesses. Security risks quickly and constantly evolve and this can be considered as a challenge to cybersecurity.
Almost all computer and mobile devices now come with some form of technical protection such as Antivirus software or firewalls and yet the chance of being compromised continues to grow. Many experts believe that most technology is vulnerable and is prone to hacking. Lack of knowledge and awareness of cyber security is exposes people to too much risks they cannot even imagine.
Creating cybersecurty awareness within a business is all about training. Business owners need to ensure that every employee in their organization is aware of the potential threats they could face, whether it’s a phishing email or using an insecure network.
In addition, the cyber security landscape is always changing as hackers find new ways to access information. This is why creating the chance for consistent awareness of threats is so important.
Minimum cybersecurity measures are listed as follows:
- Endpoint protection
- Web filtering software
- Intrusion Detection System / Intrusion Prevention System
- Radius server
- Logging software
Types of cyber crime
The world wide web is a vast place and it has made the world a smaller place. Undoubtedly, internet has made our lives a lot easier, but it has also created other problem which is cyber crime. Cyber crimes pose threats to cyber security. Cyber crime is growing steadily and many people have become victims of hacking, theft, identity theft and malicious software. Raising an awareness of different types of cyber crime and what can be done to prevent or tackle them is definitely crucial.
Any crime committed over the internet is referred to as cyber crime. There are many different types of cyber crime. the most common ones are listed below:
- Hacking: Hacking is when the criminal (the hacker) breaks into someone’s computer or mobile device and tries to access personal or sensitive information. Hacking is considered to be a felony in most of the countries. But there is another type of hacking called “ethical hacking”. Ethical hacking is when hackers try to find weaknesses in networks in order to take cyber security measures to maximize its protection.
- Theft: This type of cyber crime occurs when the criminal violates copyrights and downloads music, movies, games and software without paying for them. Crackers are applications which crack paid applications and provide it to the public for free use.
- Identity Theft: In this type of cyber crime, a criminal accesses data about a person’s bank account, credit cards, debit card and other sensitive information to siphon money or to buy things online in the victim’s name. This type of crime has posed serious dangers for people who use internet for cash transactions and banking services.
- Cyberstalking: Cyberstalking entails the use of internet to harass or stalk other people. In this type of cyber crime, the criminal uses emails, instant messengers or other internet tools to harass or threaten someone. The victims are such crimes are usually kids and teenagers and that is why parents need to be absolutely aware of it.
- Malicious Software: This type of software are designed to disrupt a network. These software are design to provide access to someone’s personal data or causing damages to the software present on the system. Antivirus applications are designed to create cyber security against this type of software.
- Child soliciting and cyber-bullying: This type of cyber crime targets kids and teenagers via the internet for different purposes such as child pornography. The criminal may also commit acts of cyber bullying and force the victims to do things such as sharing explicit photos or sometimes extortion of money. This type of crime also needs to be taken serious by parents.
How to provide cyber security for our business
If you are unprepared for a cyber attack, your business is definitely at risk. Hackers can steal money and sensitive information including customer data. A data breach can ruin your relationship with your employees, customers and vendors and can damage your company to great extents. It is imperative to build up the cyber security of your company especially if you have a small business as it is more prone to cyber attacks. Here are some of the ways to improve cybersecurity for your business.
Train your employees
As I mentioned earlier, cyber security awareness is of utmost importance. Teach your employees that they should never take strong passwords for granted. Employees must create strong, unique passwords for each account that they use at the office. They should have a password for every desktop and mobile device as well.
Another helpful way is to remind your employees to set up two-factor authentication for their accounts. This requires a two-step sign-in process that adds another layer of security to accounts. This adds an extra layer of protection for accounts which are used on multiple devices.
Keep computers updated
keep all your devices including laptops and mobile devices updated. Updated operating systems and web browsers are a great help for enhancing cyber security in your office. Updated systems are able well-protected against latest threats.
Ask you employees to regularly check for updates. If your employees use mobile devices for work, make sure they use updated apps, including a security app.
Never forget to regularly backup information on the computers. This will be beneficial in case your data is stolen or goes missing. Remember, all important information should always have a copy and should be stored in a secure cloud. You can use encryption and passwords to protect it.
Secure your WiFi
Your business’s WiFi can be an easy way for cyber criminals to access your data. Secure your WiFi so only your employees can access it. you can also set up the WiFi in a way that prevents employees from knowing the password.
If you want an open WiFi for your customers to use, set up a separate network. Guests should not have the same WiFi access as employees. This will help prevent unwanted people from joining the business WiFi and accessing files.
How to provide cyber security for our family
It is not just our business that is threatened by cyber attacks. Our innocent kids and immature teenagers are also prone to harms by cyber criminals. The reason why you need to monitor your kids on the internet is that they find the virtual world extremely attractive and at the same time, they are unaware of the consequences of their actions in the virtual world. This is why parents need to be vigilant and keep a watchful eye on their kids’ activities on the internet.
Parental monitoring application
One of the solutions that technology has provided for parents to increase cyber security for kids is monitoring applications. There is a great variety of monitoring applications out in the market each offering different features. But in order to have the most comprehensive monitoring experience, you will need to choose the most professional one.
One of the most powerful monitoring tools available on the market is Underspy. Underspy is a well-designed software which offers a variety of monitoring solutions. You can use Underspy to keep tabs on your kids in real time. Here are some of the features you can have with Underspy:
- Track calls and record them
- Track text messages
- Monitor instant messengers such WhatsApp, WeChat, Viber, imo, Telegram, etc
- Track GPS location
- View web browser history
- Block specific websites
This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)