Getting lost or stolen is the worst thing that can happen to a smart device owner. If you have an android device, Android Device Manager is the feature which allows you to locate your phone. Apple’s Find My iPhone feature is somehow the same and it is a free tool which allows you to easily locate your lost or stolen device. You can track down your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac from anywhere in case it has some sort of internet connection. Here is all you need to know about this feature:
How to turn on Find My iPhone for iPhone or iPad
It is quite simple to set up Find My iPhone. All you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Open Settings from your springboard
- Open iCloud
- Select Find My iPhone and tap on the slider to switch it on
How to use Find My iPhone
Once you have set up Find My iPhone, you can use it to track any device that is linked to your iCloud. You can follow these steps on your phone to use this feature:
- Launch Find iPhone app on your phone
- Login to your iCloud Account
- Tap on the device that you would like to track
- Tap on Actions to view the options
You have 3 options which are extremely handy in case you have lost your device or it is stolen.
- Play sound – These feature plays an audible sound which makes it easy for you to locate your device. You will hear the sound even if your device is on silent or vibrate mode. This feature is extremely handy if you have lost your phone somewhere around the house; under the sofa for example.
- Lost mode – This feature will ask you to type in a phone number to be displayed on the screen of your lost device. So in case anyone finds your device, they can contact you through that number. Also an audible sound will be played to draw attention to your device. you can also set a passcode even if your device is not password protected.
- Erase – If you have lost all hope for finding your lost device, this feature allows you to remotely erase all your data on your phone. This feature ensures you that you personal data won’t fall into wrong hands.
How to use Find My iPhone from PC
If you have a computer, you can easily track you phone from any web browser. Follow these steps:
- Open iCloud website on any browser and login to your iCloud Account
- Click on Find My iPhone from the main menu
- Select All Devices from the top
- Choose the particular device that you would like to track
Find my iPhone offline
If you are unable to locate your device on a map, there might be some reasons to this problem:
- Your device is off or the battery is dead
- It is not connected to the internet
- Location Services is off
So, if you are unable to use Find My iPhone for any of these reasons, here is what you can do:
- Enable Notify Me When Found so that when your phone connects to the internet you will find it
- Use Play sound, Lost mode, and Erase options even if your phone is offline. The action that you chose will happen next time your phone is online
- Remove from Account also helps you to omit a device from Find My iPhone. It is specifically useful in case you have sold your device