Your Twitter username is your identity on the social network. By that people can search, follow or message you. Mentioning in Twitter takes place based on usernames too. As time passes since you are active on Twitter you might have come to a point where you want to change your username for any personal or business reason. Fortunately, Twitter makes it very easy for it’s users to do so.
Changing Twitter usernames can be done in a web browser, or in the mobile apps. Here is full guide of Twitter usernames, how to create one, how to change them and all you need to know.
How to change Twitter username on mobile app?
In order to change your currently used username to a new one follow the steps bellow.
- Install the latest version of Twitter app on Android or IOS.
- Open Twitter app on any device and log into it.
- Tap on “me” icon which is placed in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the gear icon at the right of your profile picture and enter the setting.
- Under Account, update you username in the Username field.
- Type in a new username. As you type, Twitter will check to make sure your username hasn’t been taken by someone else.
- click the “Done” or “Save changes” button.
- Tap “done” again to exit the settings menu and return you to your Twitter page,
- Now you are able to see your new username displayed below your name.
It is good to know that Changing your currently used username will not affect your existing followers, Direct Messages, or replies. However it is good to alert your followers before you change your username so they can find you more easily in case they want to send you direct replies or Direct Messages.
How to change Twitter username on desktop?
In case you are using the web version of Twitter you can change your username at any time by following the steps bellow.
Step 1. Go to the Twitter website.
Step 2. Click Log in in the top-right corner of the window, enter your username (or email address) and password, and click Log in.
Step 3. Twitter’s Home page must appear now.
Step 4. Click your profile picture.
Step 5. Click “Settings and privacy” near the bottom of the drop-down menu.
Step 6. Enter a new name in the “Username” field. As you type, Twitter will check your username to confirm it’s availability.
Step 7. Press enter. On the pop-up window with a password entry field confirm your Twitter password.
Step 8. Click save changes or done. Your new username is applied to your account.
Twitter User names and display names differences
Twitter username are unique names that appear in your profile URL. It’s used for logging into Twitter, send replies, and direct messages. While Twitter display name is a personal identifier exist in your profile page and used to identify you to other users, especially if your username is not showing your real name or business name.
How To Change Twitter Name?
This is how to change your Twitter name step by step.
Step 1: log into your Twitter account by opening any browser on Twitter app.
Step 2: On the Twitter homepage go to your profile by clicking on your photo.
Step 3: On your Twitter profile, tap on Edit profile.
Step 4: below your profile photo on Twitter name field Add the your desired name and click on Save changes
Now your Twitter name is changed. Remember that here In the Edit profile section, you also are able to change your profile photo, your bio, location, etc.
Considerations for choosing Twitter usernames
According to Twitter help center Usernames which contain the key words “Twitter” or “Admin” cannot be claimed. By the mean No usual account names can contain Twitter or Admin. Twitter usernames cannot be longer than 15 characters. however Your name can be longer up to 50 characters. A username can only contain alphanumeric characters means letters A-Z and numbers 0-9 and underscores so make sure your selected username does not contain any symbols, dashes, or spaces. Remember that the Twitter usernames that were claimed by a suspended or deleted Twitter account are not immediately available for use.
How to add emojis to Twitter usernames?
Click on tweet box or any text editor or message composing screen and add your desired emoji. then copy it from there and paste it with your Twitter name. You can’t add any emojis directly on Twitter username.
Why you are not able to change your Twitter display name?
First of all make sure you are following the steps correctly. If you did, there may be a temporary problem on Twitter’s servers, so be patient and try again later. Some times the redirect page is down so it does not mean that your changes were not saved. In case it is not saved yet, try again through a different browser or device.
Remember the rules you must follow while changing your usernames on Twitter which are mentioned earlier in this article, so go through them again and consider your choice one more time.If you find that the username you want violates any of the mentioned rules, then you have to keep your old username or pick something else that is fit with the rules.
Tips to create an effective and proper Twitter username
When you get to the point where you want to choose your username you might have wondered what to choose. Here are some tips that gives you ideas for creating Twitter usernames.
- Add “The” If your desired username is already taken by other users it is a good idea to add “The” in front of the username. It also makes users to feel you are the one.
- Use “This is” or “I am” while they sound good with most names
- You also can Begin With “We are” in case you owning companies and groups profiles.
- one of the most professional things you can do is to simply Use Your Name And Industry in order to tell users who you are and what you do. This also can help you with search engines optimization.
- You also can Use Initials such as middle names in case your selected username is already taken by anybody else.
- Add your Location, Country, State, City to tell your fans where your company or business is located and attract local customers.
- you can’t use a dot in your Twitter user name so you can not add domain too, but you can use the words “dot,” “dotcom,” or “com” in order to introduce your website to your followers.
- Always remember that a good username is the one which is the same, or similar to, your own name. Although if you prefer for people not to know who you are, you can choose a name that is far from your real name.
- It is brilliant if your username match your other platform’s usernames such as your e-mail address, Instagram username, Facebook username etc.
- Try to Use a short Twitter username. Since Tweets are only 140 characters, so when people are replying to you, if you have a long username they must reduce the reply size this is why Twitter limits users username to just 15 characters.
- Adding underscores before or after your selected username can always help you claim a unique username on Twitter while your desired ones are already taken by other users.
How to log into your Twitter account while forgetting your username?
If you have forgotten the username you were using on your Twitter account you can Use your email address and password to log into Twitter. In case your password is not working, request a new password by entering your email address in Twitter reset form. If the system cannot find your email address, you may be entering the wrong one. Keep trying new addresses. If you are sure that you are entering the correct email address be patient and try later at another time.