One of the features that most smartphones offer to their users to enhance their typing speed is the autocorrect feature. When you type one or two letters of a specific word, this feature starts guessing the word that you are about to type and you can just tap on the displayed word to save yourself a lot of time. There is no doubt that the autocorrect feature boosts your typing speed, however, this feature can be extremely annoying at times. We all have the experience of when our autocorrect guessed the wrong word and created misunderstanding for our friends. That is why in this tutorial I have decided to show you how you can easily turn off autocorrect feature on your Android phone or iPhone.
Turn off autocorrect on Android
So, if you find the autocorrect feature more annoying than helpful, you can always disable this feature completely. If you have an Android phone, you can follow these steps to turn off autocorrect on your phone easily:
- Open Settings app on your phone
- Scroll down and find Language & Input. On some devices, you might find this section under General Settings.
- On the next step, tap Virtual Keyboard section (This section might be different on various Android devices. On some Android phones, you may need to first choose the keyboard that you are using. In general, in order to turn off autocorrect, you need to enter the settings of your keyboard. If you are not using a keyboard which is not default, for example Go keyboard, you can enter its settings from right within the app).
- After you managed to enter your keyboard settings, search for options such as Auto-correction, Word-prediction, Autocorrect or Prediction. You can just tap any of these options and disable them.
These steps might be different on various Android devices, so I tried to mention the most probable ones. By following these steps, you will be able to turn off autocorrect on all Android phones.
Turn off autocorrect on iPhone
If you have an iPhone and you are running iOS 10 or later, there is a method you can use to turn off autocorrect on your phone. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Much like Android, in order to turn off autocorrect on iPhone, you will need to enter your keyword settings. In order to do so, you can either use your Settings tap, or tap an hold on the language button on your keyboard to enter settings.
- After you managed to enter your keyboard settings, disable Auto-Correction under ALL KEYBOARDS.
- You can also disable Predictive option in order to disable predictive texts.
By taking these steps, you can easily turn off autocorrect and disable predictive text on you iPhone. Remember, you can always enable these options whenever you want.