Restoring an Apple iPhone is a process that reinstalls your operating system and resets it back to factory defaults. This process automatically updates your phone to the latest version of iOS. Here, I provide you with the instructions on how to restore iPhone to factory settings using iTunes for Windows. It is easy to follow and easy to do. So, let’s get started.
Steps to restore iPhone to factory settings
- On the first step, launch iTunes from your programs list.
- Now connect your iPhone to computer using USB cable. Select your device from the toolbar or from the slide bar if you run an old version of iTunes.
Don’t forget the backup
(Note! The most important thing before you reset iPhone is to make sure that your data will be safe! In order to avoid data loss don’t forget to backup your device before you proceed)
- So, after you have chosen your device in iTunes, click on Backup Now to make sure your data will be safe and sound.
- If you want to download and restore the latest available version of firmware, click on Restore iPhone. You may have already downloaded ipsw for the firmware. To restore to your already downloaded firmware, hold shift and click on Restore iPhone. In the opened window, select your firmware ipsw file and click on Open.
- In this step, a notification will appear which asks you if you are sure you want to restore your iPhone to factory settings? Click the Restore button to continue the process.
- If you see the firmware’s changelog, click on Next.
- Now you will see Apple’s Software License Agreement. Click on Agree.
- If iTunes begins to download the firmware please be patient as it may take a while. After the Firmware is downloaded, it will be extracted and the installation process will begin.
- At this point you will see a message notifying you that your phone will restart.
- If there is an update to carrier settings, click on Download and Update.
- In this step, you will see the ‘Welcome to your new iPhone’ message. You can choose to ‘Set up as a new iPhone‘ or ‘Restore from this backup‘. The dropdown menu allows you to choose one from your previous backups. Click on Continue.
Congratulations! you have successfully restored your iPhone. Now just click on Get Started to view your iPhone in iTunes.