Designing and implementing a simple website is no longer something difficult and everyone, even the ones not familiar with programming, can now own a website. However, you should never overestimate the importance of website security regardless of how small your website is. Remember a small negligence can ruin all your work on your website and you will need to start all over. In this article, I will explain some security tips for your website which are all not very difficult to follow but they actually increase the safety of your website to a great extent.
The importance of website security
As I mentioned before, starting a personal and simple website nowadays does not require deep knowledge of web programming and you can develop your own website by a little search and without having any background knowledge in this regard. In addition, there are frameworks and CMS tools such as WordPress or Joomla which make managing your website even simpler.
This simplicity definitely has many advantages, but it might also make less experienced website owners take the security measures for granted. You should never neglect your website security as hackers are always waiting to find weaknesses and penetrate your network. In this case, the more valuable data you store on your servers, the more hackers will be willing to attack it.
It can be inferred that security is much more important for your website if your servers contain confidential data and you might even need to consult experts in the field of cyber security to eliminate vulnerabilities in your service. But this does not mean that your small website which does not contain much confidential information won’t be target for hackers.
For example, if someone manages to access your main data base and wipes out all the data on it, your domain will go to nothingness and you will have to start it all over. In the next section, I will offer you some small tips you can follow in order to maximize your website security.
Tips to increase website security
Security experts have introduced many methods to increase security on websites and internet services, however, these methods might require programming knowledge. We are not going to explain these methods here. Instead, we are going to provide you with some tips that can eliminate most of vulnerabilities on your website.
- Refrain from using weak and not secure domain hosts.
- Keep your WordPress and Cpanel login info secure.
- Use strong password for your Cpanel and WordPress.
- Do not use the same names for username and the name of the author.
- Never use the username ‘Admin’ for WordPress or host.
- Pay attention to user access levels and plugins you install.
- Keep WordPress and installed plugins up to date.
- Not using unreliable templates and plugins that do not have enough security.
- Using hosts that offer powerful and reliable firewalls.
- Regularly backup all your website data.
- Blocks IPs with suspicious requests to prevent DoS attacks.
- Use plugins that block the IP after failed consecutive logins.
These points are only a few tips you can follow in order to improve your website security. Of course, there are much more options that you need to follow to make sure your website is always secure.