Nowadays Instagram is one of the most popular social media apps which is great mean for sharing photos and videos with your friends and family. Instagram is popular all around the world and it has a great number of users from different countries. It is true that Instagram is fun and popular, however the downside to this popularity is that many hackers try to find ways to hack Instagram accounts of other and steal their private information. So, in order to further secure your account, Instagram offers a security feature which allows you to enhance Instagram account security. One of the best ways to secure Instagram account is to use Instagram two factor authentication. Here is all you need to know about this great security feature of Instagram along with the tutorial on how you can enable it for your account.
What is Instagram two factor authentication?
Before I proceed to show you how you can enable two factor authentication for Instagram, you might first need to know what two factor authentication is and what is it good for. Two factor authentication means that you add an extra layer of security to your account which makes it harder to penetrate. In fact, what Instagram two factor authentication does is that it allows you to choose a secondary password for your account and does not just rely merely on your Instagram password.
There is difference between two factor authentication and two step verification, but I will not go into the details of these two. What Instagram offers is two factor authentication and this means that when you have it enabled, you need to enter the code sent to your phone number along with your username and password each time you want to login to your account. Also, there are some backup codes that Instagram provides. You can use these codes for Instagram two factor authentication in case you have trouble receiving the code via phone number.
When you enable two factor authentication for your Instagram account, you have in fact added an extra layer of security to your account and your password is no longer the only barrier that keeps you safe from hackers. This means that if someone manages to access your Instagram username and password, they will as well need to have the security code sent to your phone number in order to login to your account. So, Instagram Two factor authentication makes it more difficult for hackers to hack Instagram and access your messages.
Enable Instagram two factor authentication
Now that you well know what two factor authentication is, I strongly recommend that you enable this feature for your Instagram account. In fact, it is not that difficult to do so. All you need to do is to take the following steps to enable Instagram two factor authentication:
- Run Instagram application on your phone and go to your profile page.
- Tap on the three dots icon or the gear icon on top of the screen to open account settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Two-Factor Authentication under Privacy and Security.
- On the next step, enable Require Security Code.
- A window will open and you will need to tap on Turn On.
- If you have not already entered your phone number for your Instagram account, you will now need to type in your phone number associated with your Instagram account. A six digit code will be sent to your phone number. Type in the code in the field provided by the app.
- On the next step, you will see a number of backup codes. You’d better take a screenshot from the codes or use the Copy Codes option to copy and keep them in a safe place. In case you forget your password and you have trouble for login, you can use these backup codes to login to your Instagram account.
I hope you found this tutorial article useful. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to mention it in the comments section.
This post is also available in: العربية (Arabic)