Generally you may have your own reason for wanting a message that you received appear unread, by the mean sometimes you don’t want the sender to know that you have read the messages. As many messaging platforms like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and DMs on Twitter all support read receipts, iMessage, popular iphon messaging platform, provide users with iMessage read receipts service too. When you enable iMessage read receipts to mark messages as read, the person you are talking with is able to see when you read a message and if you deactivate the feature you will not be able to understand if someone has read your iMessages or not. So somehow it is a tradeoff.
Are iMessage read receipts enabled by default?
By default, any text messages you receive via the iMessage have this feature enabled. This means that whenever you add a new contact to your iPhone and start having iMesaage conversation read receipts will automatically be enabled for them and they would know if you have read their messages.
How to disable iMessage read receipt on IOS?
It happens that you are too busy and you can’t answer your friend’s messages right away. In case you want to disable iMessage read receipts for everybody that send you messages follow the steps bellow.
- Enter settings.
Enter the setting app on your IOS device.
- Scroll down and tap on Messages.
- Tap the “Send Read Receipts” .
On the appeared screen, tap the “Send Read Receipts” to switch it off.
In case you want to disable iMessage read receipts for a contact follow the steps bellow, also if you have turned read receipts off for everyone you still can enable the feature for specific contact by following these steps.
- Open any message conversation in Messages.
- Tap on the “i” in the top corner of the screen.
- Turn read receipts for each individual message on or off.
How to disable iMessage read Receipts on the Mac?
You are able to turn off read receipts in the Mac Messages app with simple instruction too, for all contacts or certain contacts.
Remember that if you are using Mac and iOS device at the same time to go through iMessages, you have to disable read receipts in both devices to achieve your purpose of disabling the feature.
In case you want to disable iMessage read receipts for everybody on Mac follow the steps bellow.
- Enter the Messages app on your Mac
- Click Messages on the Apple menu.
- Click Preferences.
- Tap on the Accounts tab and enter it.
- Select your iMessage account.
- Disable the “Send read receipts” check box.
In case you want to disable iMessage read receipts for a contact on Mac follow the steps bellow.
- Open any specific message that you want to disable read receipts for the contact.
- Tap on “Details” in the top corner.
- Then enable it, if you have disabled the feature globally and you want this specific contact to have it activated, or disable “Send Read Receipts”.