Today is the age of instant messaging. Each day, our communications become more dependent on instant messengers and that is due to the fact that these applications have made our lives easier. You can talk to a friend who is miles away just by tap of a finger. You can share any sort of data in an instant and free of charge. But every good thing is not without its downsides. Sharing everything online exposes our personal data to risks. So, we need to be extra cautious about the security of our data on instant messengers. One of the most popular instant messengers is definitely WhatsApp. Read this article to find out how to secure WhatsApp account and safeguard it from a WhatsApp spy tool.
Secure WhatsApp account with two-step verification
This rather recent feature of WhatsApp adds an extra layer of security to your account. If you are worried about the security of your personal data on WhatsApp, you can enable two-step verification to secure WhatsApp account. Here is how you can enable this feature to maximize protection for your WhatsApp account.
- Launch WhatsApp application
- Tap on the gear icon (Settings)
- From Settings, go to Account
- Tap on Two-step verification
- Tap on Enable
This feature allows you to set a PIN for your whatsApp account so that you will need to enter PIN every time you re-register with your phone number. This is the feature provided by WhatsApp to account for your security. However, there are other things you can do to Secure WhatsApp acount.
Restrict access to your whatsApp profile pic
Anybody can contact you via WhatsApp as long as they have your phone number. Of course unwanted users can always be blocked. But what about your pretty profile pictures? Well, WhatsApp has tought of a way to secure WhatsApp account and your profile pictures. Here is how you can manage this section:
- Open WhatsApp application
- Tap on the gear icon (Settings)
- Go to Accounts
- Tap on Privacy and then Profile picture
- Here you can choose who can see your profile photo
Hide WhatsApp photos from Gallery
WhatsApp automatically saves all the sent media to your gallery. Of course, this is a cool feature as it allows you to keep track of your media. But you may not want some pictures to appear in your gallery. In order to secure whatsApp account and your photos, you can hide them from your gallery.
All you have to do is head over to your file explorer on your device and go to WhatsApp images folder. Then create a file called .nomedia. After a reboot, all the WhatsApp media items will be hidden.
Tips to secure WhatsApp account
The first two mentioned tips are the first things you can do to make sure Your WhatsApp account is secure. But there are other tips you can follow to make sure no one would be able to access your private whatsApp data. Here is what you can do,
- Lock WhatsApp – WhatsApp application doesn’t come with a feature to lock the app, however you can use third-party apps to lock WhatsApp.
- Keep your phone number private – The way through which people contact one another with WhatsApp is with phone numbers. Hence, in order to secure WhatsApp account, avoid sharing your phone number with strangers.
- Deactivate account for lost/stolen devices – In order to deactivate your account remotely, you need to send and email to WhatsApp support and type down Lost/Stolen: Please deactivate my account (along with the phone number) in the subject line.
- Turn off unknown sources – in order to secure WhatsApp account from apps that try to hack WhatsApp, you need to make sure installing applications from unknown sources is not allowed on your device. Go to Settings > Device Security to check that.
These tips can help you to secure whatsApp account if you follow them. Another final point is that you should avoid handing over your phone to other people or worse, people you don’t know. Security of personal data is now of utmost importance and people need to aware of all the risk and threats to their privacy.