As Twitter is one of the most popular social networks all around the world people spend a lot of time using the platform everyday. By adding Twitter direct messages feature consideration of hacking Twitter has risen among hackers. As you get into someone’s Twitter account you can view not only direct messages but also shared posts, subscribers and other types of data. You also would be able to change account settings or follow other users. By the mean if you hack someone’s Twitter password you will have full access to the Twitter account until they notice or change their password for any particular reason, and then you will lose your access.
Here is a list of possible tools and actions that can result hacking a Twitter account.
Hack Twitter account by viruses
Virus hack happens when a user clicks on a virus that would automatically installed any kind of spy app on his devices. The spy apps would hack the password as soon as the user log into Twitter or they can monitor user’s activity on the social network. These viruses are programmed in order to contain a link which causes the Twitter password hack in different ways. As an example there is a report of receiving a Twitter direct message from a friend with a link. The link would take the user to an unknown platform, and there would be a pop up screen asking to enter your password and login to continue. Sometimes the person who shares these link is hacked too, in this case users use hacked accounts to hack more. This messages are mostly short and tempting. Since Twitter direct messages must be short and brief users usually do not find it suspicious to receive short sentences containing virus links and they do not consider it as spam, since all Twitter users sometime write like spammers.
Hack Twitter account by accessing to user’s Email
Another way to hack Twitter account is the account’s linked email. At the time you access or track user’s Email address which is link to his Twitter account you easily can access to the account’s password, not only Twitter but also other social platforms that are linked to same email address can be hacked.
Hack Twitter account by Stored Twitter passwords on personal computers
Many users use their browsers on personal computers to save their login information. You just need to access the device that user has ever tried to login to Twitter account from there through website. Get into the browser and access the password with taking several actions.
Hack Twitter account by personal knowledge
You may already have the password but you just need to figure it out.Try to guess victim’s Twitter account’s password based on the knowledge about targeted user’s private information like birth dates, important names, email addresses, cell phone numbers etc. Figure out a possible password by combining private data and try to login to the account.
Hack Twitter using Automatic password match
There are some tools and programs that use a database of passwords that are collected by the hacker. Then they combine and check all the possible password fast and in case the match is found the tools would reveal it. This kind of tools work base on the complicated and time consuming algorithms of serialization of user’s data on Twitter.
Online Ways to Hack Twitter Accounts
There are some different online hack websites such as “howtohackTwitter.net” or “twithack.starthacking.us” that specifically hack users Twitter accounts using their account’s URL. The procedure starts by putting the URL of the target user’s and clicking on “hack account”. Once the process is complete, the password will be saved in your files called “password.txt”. Then you need to follow some steps to unlock the generated password file.
Hack Twitter account using Phishing attack
This is a popular attack that steals users account credentials in technical way. The attack sends a spam message to the user in Twitter direct message or a usual tweet that contains phishing link. As the victim clicks on the link, a login page appears that looks exactly like Twitter login page while it is not. As the user enters the data hacker can fetch it and steal it. This method needs knowledge of programming in order to design the fishing website.
How to protect your Twitter account from hackers?
Although Twitter websites and app have made some efforts in order to secure users account and protect their passwords but still there are a lot of people on the internet who want to hack into people’s account every day in order to steal their personal information. Follow the tips bellow to protect you Twitter account.
- Keep changing your password from time to time and try to choose strong passwords. You password should not contain any of your personal information. However it might seem inconvenient to do so but it worth it in order to reduce the risk of being hacked.
- Avoid logging into your Twitter account from unknown devices to protect you privacy, and of course never save your password on the browser that others may access.
- Some of the third-party applications will ask for your permission to access your Twitter account. If you accept it you would give the access permission to your messages and data which is obviously unsafe.
- Enable to factor authentication for your Twitter account. According to Twitter help center you can choose to use a separate third-party app or security key to generate a login code every time you log into your account. This is how to enable it.
- Click on profile icon
- Click Settings and privacy.
- Click Account
- Click Security.
- The Text message option is set by default. Click Edit to no longer receive codes via text message. If the Mobile security app or Security key selection is currently disabled, you are able to enable it and then your two factor authentication is based on your choice.
How to enable two factor authentication?
Two factor authentication would inform you in case any unwanted login attempt take place in your account. Here is how to enable it.
- Launch the Twitter app on any device or go through the website.
- Tap on the profile.
- Tap Settings and privacy.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Security.
- Tap the switch next to Login verification.
- Tap Confirm.
- Follow the appeared instructions.
- Enter the six-digit code that is sent to you.
- Tap Submit.
- You can also require Twitter to request additional information from you in case some hackers are trying to change your account’s password reset. You can only enable this this feature from the Twitter website. Here is how to do it.
- Visit Twitter.com on your computer.
- Click on the profile.
- Click Settings and privacy.
- Click Account.
- Click the checkbox next to Password reset verification.
- Click Save changes.
- You can use temporary password feature that is provided by Twitter security team. After you enable login verification for your account on the web, you will need to use a temporary password to log in to Twitter on other devices or applications. The passwords would be sent via SMS once any login attempt occurs.Here is how to generate temporary passwords that will expire after one hour.
- Click on the Account tab of your account settings on website.
- Click the Generate app password button.
- Enter your current account password and click Submit.
- Make sure that the email address that your Twitter account is linked to it is secure and you are the only one that can access it. You can always change your email address from app or website.
How to know your Twitter account is hacked?
As soon as your account is hacked you may face some signs. If you have faced any of them you must take serious consideration.
- Your account is sending spam links to others.
- You are getting notifications from changing in your account settings in case you have not made the changes.
- Some strange apps are appearing in your Twitter setting which you did not install them.
- If you notice big changes is your following and follower number.
How to recover Twitter hacked account?
If you still are able to login your account after being hacked try to change your password immediately.
In case you can’t login reset your password by requesting an email via reset password request. If you were able to log in after the password reset use the mentioned tips to secure your account.
If you still can’t log in after password reset, contact Twitter help center by submitting a Support request. There you must choose “Hacked account” from the list of options. For asking for support you must use the email address you associated with the hacked Twitter account and you must include your Twitter username and the date you last had access to your account.