If you are among the ones who own multiple mobile phone devices each with a separate phone number, then Google Voice services are right for you. This service allows you to use one phone number to ring several phones. Much like other phone numbers, you just need to give your Google number to anyone and if someone calls you, you will have several options for answering. Google Voice allows you to replace your work, phone and cellphone numbers with one free phone number.
How does Google Voice work?
Google Voice service started in 2009 and it offers its users to receive calls, text messages, and call forwarding completely free of charge.
Cheap international call rates, free group texting, voicemail transcription, Hangouts integration, and a number of other convenient features, are among the reasons why this service has managed to remain among people since 2009.
This service works through the PSTN which is the traditional system for handling voice calls. When a call is initiated to a phone number on this service, the call is handed to the Google space on the internet. This service primarily aims at unifying communication channels. As a result, you can conveniently switch between carriers without the need to change the phone number.
To put it simple, Google Voice is a voice over IP (VoIP) service allowing you to use a single number for multiple devices.
How to use Google Voice?
It is absolutely simple to set up this service. You can either use your computer or your mobile phone to get started. Here is how you can start using this service.
- Open Google Voice website on your web browser and login to your Google account.
- By clicking on the get Google Voice button, you will see three option. You can request this service for Android, iPhone or web. Choose the one that fits you.
- On the next step, you can review the terms and condition of this service and click on Continue.
- Now you need to choose a number, enter a city or area code to get a phone number from that region.
- Review the numbers that are presented for you. Choose one and click the SELECT button.
- Verify your existing phone number by clicking the VERIFY button on the following page.
- Enter the phone number that you want this service to forward calls to and click the SEND CODE button.
- Check your phone for a message containing a code and enter the code to the website and click the VERIFY button.
- Choose CLAIM to confirm that you want to forward Google Voice calls to that phone number.
- Finally click FINISH to finish the setup.
Is Google Voice free?
While this is a VoIP service like Skype, it needs to be connected to your phone number. This means that using this service applies carrier costs for making calls. However, the service itself is 100% free which means you do not need to pay anything extra.
So, the only charges applied are the regular carrier charges, however, you can save money by making calls through this service.
- Make free local and overseas calls to any number within the United States and Canada.
- Make cheap calls (with VoIP rates) to international destinations.
- Send messages through your Google number free of charge.
Google Voice app
As I mentioned earlier, this service is available for Android and iOS platform as well. Using this service on your phone requires you to download the app and install it on your phone. Here’s the link to download Google Voice for Android and iPhone.
I hope you found this tutorial article useful. If you have any questions or any trouble downloading the file, please don’t hesitate to mention it in the comments section.