It would be very worrying to understand that there is a virus or malware in your computer. But in order to get rid of virus you should take some careful and decisive actions. Actually it is easier than you might think.
What Are the Signs of Having Virus in Computer?
You can not easily recognize whether you computer is infected or not. Here we are gathering some of the warning signs which shows that your PC or laptop might have a virus:
- Your computer runs at very slow pace.
- There are too many Pop-up messages that are hard to get rid of and appear out of nowhere.
- Some computer programs start without you even recognize it or you didn’t start up yourself.
- You can hear the sound of the hard drive in constant action.
Any of the signs which mentioned above can be as a result of an existing virus. In cases that you experience two or three of them at the same time, that’s a strong proof that you’ve got a virus. If you haven’t virus or malware already, download an antivirus program now. So you can download free antivirus from AVG and have it running in just a few minutes.
How to Get Rid of Virus?
We recommend you to take the following actions if your PC or laptop has infected by virus:
1. Remove the Virus
Time needed: 20 minutes.
For removing the virus, try to do the following steps:
- Enter safe mode
Do this by turning your computer off and on again. Then, as soon as you see anything on the screen, press the F8 button repeatedly. This brings up the Advanced Boot Options menu. From there, choose Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter. For now, keep your PC disconnected from the Internet.
- Delete Temporary Files
While you’re in Safe Mode, you should delete your Temporary Files by using the Disk Cleanup tool:
Go to the Start menu >> All Programs (or just Programs) >>Accessories >> System Tools >> Disk Cleanup >> Scroll through the Files To Delete list >> choose Temporary Files.
Deleting these files might speed up the virus scanning you’re about to do. Also, it could even get rid of virus if it was programmed to start when your computer boots up.
- Download a virus scanner
We have 2 types of scanners that can detect and delete computer viruses and malware: real-time and on-demand:
Real time: A real-time scanner, like AVG AntiVirus FREE, scans for viruses in the background while you’re using your computer.
on-demand: An on-demand operating system scanner, like Microsoft Safety Scanner, you should run it manually each time you want to scan. Actually, using both types of scanner might be necessary to remove the virus. So this is the time to reconnect to the internet and download it if you don’t have a virus scanner installed. Even if you can’t connect to the internet you might still be able to download Microsoft Safety Scanner because you started up your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.
- Run a virus scan
First, you run the on-demand scanner, after that run your real-time scanner. Actually, one of them should be able to identify the virus and remove it. But running both scanners increases the chance of your success.
If there is still virus in your computer, remove the virus manually. Some viruses should be removed manually. In cases that you see you can not get rid of virus by yourself, call an IT expert who specialized in removing viruses.
2. Recover or Reinstall Any Damaged Files or Software
When the virus is detected and removed by scanning, you probably need to reinstall any files or programs that were damaged by the virus.
Here making back up will play an important role for you. That’s why we strongly recommend you to make them regularly.
3. Improve your defenses
Keep your protection up to date
By Updating your antivirus software you will help your laptop or PC get rid of virus and malware. As new viruses are being created all the time, keeping it up to date is really essential. So even if you bought your antivirus a month ago, it might need updating now. Most of the new antiviruses install quickly and update automatically for effortless protection.
Please take it very seriously. So if you haven’t been making backups before, now it is a good time for you to start. Make regular backups of your files and store them on an external hard drive. This can help prevent the loss of important information should you get another virus.
4. Try to prevent getting another one
Normally, you need to take proactive steps for protecting against another virus. Here are some quick and easy things you can do in order to avoid getting a virus again:
- You should install the latest software updates for Windows.
- Install an antivirus program.
- Back up your data regularly.
- Do not click on pop-up messages that claim to have detected a problem with your computer.
- Always beware of opening emails from addresses you don’t recognize, especially if they contain a link or an attachment. Try to learn how to detect such phishing attacks.
How Get Rid of Virus or Malware on a Mac?
As with a PC, it is a good idea to add protection. Many Mac users think they can’t get viruses or malware. This isn’t true, even though the amount of viruses and malware targeting Mac computers is lower than for PCs and laptops. There are many in-depth guide for Mac security, but here we’ll give you some quick and common tips.
Some of the well-known examples of malware for Mac computers include:
When you see the names above they give you the impression of being antivirus products but actually they are not. They are all malicious and designed to fool Mac users into submitting their credit card or Apple ID account details. Do not download them please. Beware!
What to do if your Mac is infected?
There are two main risks which Mac users might face. One is false alert messages and the other is previously installed malware. If you see any kind of message while browsing the internet along the lines of “a problem has been detected with your Mac” this is highly likely malicious. It is an attempt to get you to download malware. In such cases you should take the following tips:
- You should ignore the message. If you did download anything from the site, quit Safari or whichever browser you’re using. Then go to the Downloads folder and drag any items in there to the Trash. Next, make the trash empty. Do not visit the website again, because it’s possible it has been hacked.
- If you think malware has already been installed on your Mac, especially if you’re seeing pop-up messages asking for your Apple ID or credit card details, quit the app or software you think might be infected. Then launch your Activity Monitor and locate the app in question, or search for the malware named above. When you’ve identified the malware, click the Quit Process button and quit the Activity Monitor. Then you should go into your Applications folder and drag the unwanted software into the Trash. Now it’s time to empty your trash.
- Finally, make sure that all your software and apps are up to date. Also, you should make sure that you’ve installed the latest OS fixes and updates directly from Apple.
It would be very essential for users to have the latest antivirus installed. Do this if you really want to have the best chance to get rid of virus or malware and keep your computer safe. Moreover, you can protect your personal data in this way. You’re not sure when you last updated your antivirus? So it is the time for you to check and update it.