One of the features that mobile phone manufacturers offer mobile phone users is the ability to reset the device to factory settings or factory reset. By resetting your device to factory settings, everything that you have added to your phone will be wiped out and your device will change to a clean slate just as the time you bought it. resetting your device to factory settings is only used when there is a software problem with your phone and it couldn’t be resolved by any other method. All mobile devices come with this feature and you can reset any phone to factory settings. there are different methods you can use if you want to reset your iPhone or Android device to factory settings. You can even do it when your phone is turned off or it is locked. In this article, I will explain different methods you can use to factory reset your iPhone or Android device. Here is an overview of the article:
- Factory reset Android through settings
- Factory reset iPhone through settings
- Factory reset Android with recovery mode
- Factory reset iPhone with recovery mode
Factory reset Android through settings
If your Android device is on and the problem with it is not that serious, you can reset it to factory settings from the Settings menu. But what you need to always remember is that it will wipe out all the data on your phone and don’t proceed to do this unless you have proper backup of all the important files on your device. You need to back up your contacts, messages, or phone gallery with an Android backup app and once you are done, you can follow these steps to reset your phone to factory settings:
- Open Settings on your Android phone
- Scroll down and tap on Backup & reset
- Tap on Factory data reset
- If you would like to delete data on your SD card as well, tick Erase SD card and then click on Ok
- Enter your phone PIN and wait for the factory reset process to be completed
Factory reset iPhone through settings
Much like Android devices, you can reset an iPhone to factory settings or soft reset. There is an absolutely simple method to do that and you only need to take some easy steps. Also, by resetting your iPhone to factory settings, you will lose all your data on your phone. so before you proceed, you definitely need to make sure you have a proper iPhone backup. Once you are sure that all your important data is stored somewhere safe, you can go on to follow these steps to reset your iPhone to factory settings:
- Launch Settings application
- Open General
- Scroll down and tap on Reset
- Tap on Erase All Content and Settings and enter your PIN
- Click Erase iPhone from the opened menu and enter your Apple ID
- Tap on Erase and wait for the process to be completed
Factory reset Android with recovery mode
There are times when we have forgotten our phone password or our phone might have turned off and the software problem is so serious that the operating system is unable to load. In such cases, in order to unlock Android phone or to run it, you can use the recovery mode menu to reset your device to factory settings to be able to use your phone again. Entering the recovery mode menu and resetting the device to factory settings through it might differ from device to device. In what follows, I will explain the most common steps to for Android factory reset through recovery mode:
- The most common method to enter recovery mode menu is to turn the device off and press and hold power and volume up buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. Now use the volume up and volume down buttons to choose wipe data/factory reset option among the displayed options and press the power button to confirm.
- In some Samsung devices, you need to turn the device off and use the home button as well to enter recovery mode. Press and hold volume up, home and power buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. When Samsung logo is displayed on the screen, let go of the power button but keep holding the volume up and home buttons until you see the Android system recovery menu. Use volume up and volume down buttons to choose wipe data/factory reset option and press the power button to confirm it.
- Another method which is used for LG devices is that you need to turn the device off, then press and hold the volume down button. Now without letting go of the volume down button, press and hold the home button. Now press and hold the power button as well. When LG logo is displayed on the screen, let go of all the buttons. now use the volume down button to choose wipe data/factory reset and use the Menu button to confirm it.
Factory reset iPhone with recovery mode
In order to reset your iPhone to factory settings when it is locked or turned off, there is no method of holding the buttons as we have for Android devices. So, you first need to turn on or unlock your phone and use the Settings menu to factory reset your phone. However, if you are unable to do so, you can update the firmware by connecting your device to computer with a lightning cable and entering the iPhone Recovery mode. You can then unlock iPhone by changing the firmware and erasing all the data.