Facebook Messenger app is a secure and private chat platform that users can go through its features with or without Facebook accounts all around the world on iOS or Android devices. Using Messenger Facebook ‘friends’ can message you without phone number and family members can communicate with you without Facebook accounts. As you might have noticed Facebook Messenger notification system work a little different. By the mean on Facebook Messenger’s settings, you are only given the ability to turn off notifications for an hour or until the following morning. However you can always disable any app’s notification through the device setting but here is all the things you may need to know about customizing Facebook Messenger notifications.
How to turn off Facebook Messenger notification alerts on the online app?
In case you want to turn off Messenger notifications for all the conversations on the Facebook Messenger online app follow the instruction below step by step.
- Login to your Facebook account on Facebook website.
- Open the Messenger app on your account.
- Tap the menu button.
- Select Settings.
- Set the checkbox next to Notifications to turn notifications on or off.
- How to turn off Facebook Messenger notification for just a single conversation?
1. View the conversation you want to turn the notifications off.
2. Tap the menu button on the particular conversation.
3. Select Mute conversation
4. Select ON, OFF or OFF for 1 hour from the appeared options.
How to turn off Facebook Messenger notification on Android?
In order to turn off Messenger notifications for all conversations on the Android Messenger app follow the instruction below step by step.
- Install the latest version of Facebook Messenger on your Android device.
- Open the Messenger app.
- Tap Notifications.
- Toggle to turn notifications On or Off. You only can choose whether to Turn off for 1hour or Turn off until 8am and you are not able to disable it for longer times.
How to turn off Facebook Messenger notification for a single conversation on Android?
In order to disable Messenger notifications for a single conversation rather than all of them on Android follow the steps below.
- Choose the conversation you want to turn off the notifications for it.
- Press and hold on the desired conversation.
- Tap Mute notifications. You can select to turn off notifications for 1 Hour, Until 8:00 AM or Until I turn it back on.
How to turn off Facebook Messenger notification on iPhone?
In case you want to turn off Messenger notifications for all conversations on the iPhone devices through the Messenger app follow the instruction below step by step.
- Make sure you have installed the latest version of Messenger app on your iOS device.
- Open the Messenger app
- Tap Settings
- Tap Notifications
- Choose to Turn off for 1h or Turn off until 8am
How to turn off Facebook Messenger notifications for a single conversation on iPhone?
In order to disable Messenger notifications for a single conversation rather than all of them on iPhone follow the steps below.
- Choose the conversation on the chat screen.
- Swipe left on a conversation
- Tap Mute
- Select one of the appeared options including For 1 Hour, Until 8:00 AM or Until I turn it back on
How to hide Facebook Messenger notification previews?
Messages previews can danger your privacy while anybody look at your device’s lock screen can read your messages without even unlocking the screen. In order to disable Messenger preview notifications follow the instruction below.
- Install the latest version of app on your device.
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app on your device.
- Tap on the “Settings” tab at the bottom of the app.
- Go to Notifications.
- Tap on Show Previews and choose to turn this feature off.
In case you do so from now on all the notifications previews would be hidden from your device lock screen and you can make sure your privacy is protected while the name of the sender still appears but the content of the message is hidden and cannot be accessed without your pass code.
Frequent questions and answers
Facebook makes sure that only the person who own the account can see the notification settings and whether they are disabled or not. Nobody else would know if you turn the notification in the Messenger off.
In case you open the Facebook app and it shows you the icon that you have a new message in Messenger while there is nothing there you can solve it by doing this simple instruction. Open a browser on desktop –> Go to Facebook.com –> log in to your account –> click the “Messenger” –> Click the message and Facebook Messenger will mark it as read. So if you go back to the app on your mobile you will no longer see the notification.