Facebook is a huge multi-functional platform widely known as a social media. It’s been adding a long list of new features including Facebook Stories and Facebook Live to compete with other big names and never fall behind. By adding these features, this platform is now far more than a social media platform as its new feature allows you to buy and sell items. Read along to find out more about Facebook marketplace feature.
What can you do in Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook marketplace is a virtual marketplace that allows users to sell, buy and trade various items in your vicinity. On October 3rd, Facebook announced its new feature called Facebook Marketplace. To access this feature, head over to the Facebook app on iOS or Android and tap on the Shop icon at the bottom of the app to access this brand new feature.
The marketplace feature allows you to:
- Browse through and search for items you want to buy
- Use Category or Location filters to search for items on sale
- Create a list for your items if you are a seller and upload photos of your item
- View previous and current transactions and messages
- Set bids for items
- Contact the buyer/seller through message to arrange the transaction
You need to consider that Facebook plays no role in facilitating or managing transactions and all transactions take place outside of the app. So, the legal sense of transaction cannot be Facebook’s responsibility.
How to use Facebook Marketplace?
Buy something on Facebook Marketplace
To buy something through this new feature of Facebook, you need to message the seller in order to arrange your purchase. Here are steps you will need to take:
- Go to Facebook.com and click the marketplace icon from the top left corner
- Browse through item and click the one you want to buy
- Click Message to send a custom message to the seller or click Ask for Details to automatically send a message asking for details.
Sell something on Marketplace
The steps to add on item for sale is absolutely simple. Here’s what you need to do:
- Click the Marketplace icon from the left side of the News Feed.
- Click + Sell Something, then click Item for Sale.
- Enter the title and category of your item, the price, location, and the photo. You can also add a description.
- Click Post to post your item for sale. If your item is not posted, make sure you have provided all the necessary fields.
Who can use Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is currently available for Android and iPhone device users who are aged above 18 years old and are in the UK, the US, New Zealand and Australia.
A desktop version as well as access to this feature by other nationalities is expected to roll out soon in the coming months. Also, it is expected that Facebook also offers a Marketplace for business as well.