Computers have revolutionized the way we live in numerous ways. Our lives have changed a lot and it has become much easier with the help of computer and the internet. But there are downsides to this new technology that everyone needs to be aware of. It is absolutely important to take security measures serious while you are using the internet. Cyber security has become an important issue as the internet has become more widespread. By taking cyber security measures, you will be able to protect yourself and your loved ones against mental and financial harms of the virtual world. A new type of crime has known to be cyber crime. Cybercrime is a type of crime which is committed through the internet and can be prevented by knowing more about it. Read this article to find out all you need to know about cyber crime.
What is cyber crime?
Cybercrime is a kind of criminal activity in which a computer is the object of the crime (like hacking) or it is used as a tool to commit a crime (like cyber bullying). In this type of crime, criminals may use the computers to steal money or sensitive information, or use the internet for malicious intents. Cyber crime may also be referred o as computer crime. Cybercrime is growing steadily and many people have become victims of different types of this crime such as hacking, theft, identity theft and malicious software. Raising an awareness of different types of cyber crime and what can be done to prevent or tackle them is definitely crucial.
Types of cyber crime
Cybercrime encompasses a wide range of activities but they can b broken into two broad categories.
- Crimes that target computer networks or devices. These types of crimes include viruses and denial-of-service (DoS) attacks.
- Crimes that use computer networks to advance other crimes. These types of crimes include cyberstalking, phishing and identity theft.
Here is some explanation on the most common types of cybercrime:
- Identity theft – It is the most common type of cyber crime. The term Identity Theft is used when a person tries to be other person with a view to creating a fraud for financial gains. When this is done online on the internet, its is called Online Identity Theft.
- Spamming – This is another type of very common cybercrime. Basically, spam is unwanted emails and messages. Your inbox might be full of this type of spam emails.
- Phishing – It is a method in which the cyber criminal sets a bait for you to give them the information they want. The bait might be in the form of a business proposal or lottery announcement.
- Social engineering – In this method the cyber criminal makes a direct contact with you using emails or phones . They try to gain your confidence and once they succeed at it, they get the information they need. This information can be about you, your money, your company where you work or anything that can be of interest to the cyber criminals.
How to prevent cyber crime
Many people might become a victim of cyber crime, but there are ways that can help you to prevent this type of crime. Here are some tips you can use to safeguard yourself against cyber criminals.
- Most internet browsers offer a spam blocking feature. Turn on your spam blocker to prevent unwanted messages from getting to your inbox.
- Make sure to use an effective antivirus on your computer and mobile device. Also keep your antivirus updated.
- Use your computer’s firewall protection feature, which is a digitally created barrier that prevents hackers from getting into your computer system.
- Never provide personal information to a website you know nothing about especially if they ask your security information.
- Make sure that you do online shopping on a secure website, like those with a URL that starts with “https” and/or have a verification seal.
- Monitor your kids’ online activities. Your kids and teenagers are immature and they are more susceptible to dangers of the internet. Parents need to be vigilant and keep their kids safe from cyber criminals.
Parental control app to protect kids against cyber crime
One of the most effective ways to protect your kids against hackers and scammers is by the use of a parental control software to keep an eye on their online activities. One of the best and most comprehensive parental control applications is known to be Underspy. Underspy is a great tool to monitor kids remotely and anonymously and make sure that they are safe. Here are some of the features you can have with Underspy:
- Monitor all the calls and record them
- Track text messages even if they have been deleted
- Track GPS location
- Monitor instant messengers such as WhatsApp, LINE, Viber, WeChat, etc
- Manage internet browsing and block specific websites