One of the things that seriously bugs about smartphone is the ‘Memory Full’ alert showing up on your phone when you try to download a new app or take a photo. But what takes up space on your phone is not just apps, photos, and videos. In fact, it is the cache file that makes up for a large portion of the occupied space on your phone. On Android, you can simply do the ‘clear cache’ through the File Explorer app, but on iPhone the story is a little different. Here’s how to clear cache iPhone easily.
Clear cache iPhone
Before I go on to explain how to clear cache iPhone, I must first explain what cache is and what happens when you clear it from your phone. Cache or hidden memory is the memory that applications use it to store their data on it. Storing this type of data is with the aim of offering a better user experience in the way that users will not need to download content twice if they want to view a particular file twice. Once the file is cleared from the cache memory, the user has to download the file again to be able to view it.
Aside from saving up on your data usage, the cache files allow users to view the content on the internet much faster. But aside from all its benefits, the cache memory can be a major drain to your storage space.
To solve this issue, smart phones allows users to clear cache memory and free up some space on their phone whenever they need to. For example, if you are a Telegram users, the cache files for Telegram app on your phone may reach up to Giga bytes after a few month. Do you want to clear cache iPhone and free up some space on your iPhone? Here’s how to do that:
Clear cache iPhone Safari
If you are encountering some issues on your Safari web browser, clearing its cache memory can be the solution to these issues. Here’s how you can clear cache iPhone Safari:
- Launch Settings app on your phone.
- Scroll all the way down the list and find Safari and open it.
- Select the “Clear History and Website Data” option.
- Tap “Clear History and Data” on the opened window.
Following these steps help you to clear your web browser history and cache files.
Clear cache iPhone for different apps
There are two ways you can use to clear app cache on iPhone. You can either head to that particular app’s settings and use its clear cache option. Or, you need to uninstall the app and reinstall it to get rid of its cache memory. However, the prerequisite for the first method is that the app MUST come with the clear cache option. Otherwise, you are left with the only option which is reinstalling the app.
Here is how to see how much cache is allocated to each app:
- Launch Settings application on your iPhone.
- Tap “General” and then go to “iPhone Storage“.
- On this page, you can see all the apps on your phone and the amount of cache files for each of them. They are listed in the order of largest cache files to the smallest. The largest cache files usually belongs to photos and videos. However, you may need to think twice before you decide hit delete for your photos!
- After choosing the heaviest app, look at the Documents and Data section to see how much space this app has occupied. Hit “Delete App“ to remove the app along with its cache files and reinstall it through the App Store.
Clear cache iPhone Instagram
As I mentioned before, to be able to clear cache iPhone for a particular app, the app must come with the built-in feature to clear its cache memory without removing the app. Unfortunately, Instagram does not come with such built-in feature and as iOS does not allow you to directly clear cash memory, the only option you are left with is to reinstall Instagram. So, to clear cache Instagram on iPhone, just head to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Instagram and hit Delete App.
Clear cache iPhone Facebook
Fortunately, Facebook app on your iPhone allows you to clear cache memory from right within the app. Here’s what to do:
1. Launch Facebook app on your phone.
2. Tap on the “More” button at the bottom.
3. Choose “Settings” and then “Account Settings“.
4. Tap “Browser” to Browser Settings page.
5. Tap “Clear Data“.
What does the Offload App option do on iPhone?
One point that I need to mention here is that once you head to the iPhone Storage section and you choose a particular app, you will see two options which are Delete App and Offload App. Remember! If you want to get rid of the cache files, you have to delete the app. If you choose to offload the app instead, it would delete that particular app but keep the caches contained with “Documents and Data” and have basically the opposite effect that is intended by not freeing up that cache space. So, make sure to delete the app if you want to clear iPhone cache.