Clearing cache files on your Android phone works just like a miracle. It speeds up your phone, it frees up space on your phone, it helps app run smoother and of course, it makes you feel better when you use your phone. So how can we clear cache Android? Read along to find out!
What does it mean to “clear cache Android phone”?
You may have been fully familiar with the clear cache feature on smart phones and you may have done this multiple times. But for those of you who don’t know, I must first explain what it means to clear cache data.
Cache in fact is a temporary memory or storage on your phone which stores a specific type of data. The reason why such files are stored is to speed up your phone and make doing things faster and smoother.
Have you ever noticed that when you re-start your phone, it takes a bit longer to run the apps and start using them but after a while they run faster? This improved speed happens exactly with the help of cache data.
In addition, you may have noticed that web pages load faster the second or third time you run them. This is also because the content of the web page is stored on your cache memory and it speeds up page loading.
Normally, you do not need to clear cache Android as your operating system is capable of managing cache files, how ever, if you notice the “App stopped working” error on your phone, you will need to go on to manage the cache data yourself!
When you clear cache Android for a specific application, you could expect the issues to be resolved, however, in some cases it wouldn’t help especially if the app itself is problematic.
What does it mean to “clear data” for an Android app?
When compared to clear cache, clear data is a more severe course of action. If you attempt to do the clear data for a particular application, it means that all your progress on that app will be wiped out and you will need to start from zero.
For example, if you Clear data a game on your phone, you will lose all the level you have passed and you will need to start all over.
When to use clear data and clear cache Android?
In my previous article, I explained how clear cache iPhone would help you to free up some space on your iPhone. Here, I will explain the circumstances under which a clear cache Android would be of help.
- To free up space on your Android phone – Cache files for particular apps can occupy a hefty amount of space on your phone. For example, Telegram cache data can reach up to 3-4 GB which is a great burden on your phone storage. Using the Clear cache Android for such apps can free up a large amount of space on your Android phone.
- To fix an application which is not working properly – There are times when a particular app or game starts working for no good reasons or it keeps showing error messages. In this case, clear cache or clear data could help you to fix such issues.
How to clear cache and clear data on Android?
In order to speed up your phone and free up space, it is recommended that you clear cache all the apps every once in while. Here are the steps you will need to take for that:
- Launch Settings on your phone.
- Scroll down and tap the Apps option.
- Choose the app from the list that is occupying the most amount of space.
- Tap the Clear Cache option next to app name.
(If your Android version is 6 or higher, you first need to go to Storage section)
In order to Clear Data a particular app, you can simple tap the Clear Data option instead of Clear Cache.
However, if you think it is too time consuming to clear cache Android for all the apps one by one, you can take the following steps to do it all at once.
- Go to the Settings menu on your Android phone.
- Choose Storage and then tap the Cached data option.
- You will see a pop-up asking you to confirm the action and once confirmed, all the cache files will be removed from your phone.
There is no “better” or “worse” when we compare clear cache and clear data functions as each of them have their own applications.
The first thing you need to do to fix a issue with an app is to try the clear cache option.
If the issue is persistent despite doing clear cache, you can go on to clear data the particular application.