WhatsApp is definitely the biggest name when it comes to instant messaging. With over 1 billion active users, WhatsApp is the most popular messaging application around the world. Using WhatsApp is absolutely easy and you will need to take only a few easy steps to start using WhatsApp. All you need to use WhatsApp application is your phone number. But there are times when you would want to change your phone number and do not lose your chats. So is there a way to change WhatsApp number without losing chat history? In this article, I will show you how you can easily change your phone number on WhatsApp.
Change WhatsApp number
In case you have bought a new mobile number and you would want to use it on your same mobile phone, you can change WhatsApp number without losing data.
You are well familiar with WhatsApp. Download WhatsApp application to your mobile phone, verify it with your phone number, and start using this application to send free texts and make free calls over WiFi.
But if you have decided to use a new number for your WhatsApp, this application comes with the feature which allows you to change WhatsApp number. So if you have a new phone number, there are two things you can do:
- Change WhatsApp number.
- Use two WhatsApp application on the same device.
The first option is to use the feature which comes within the application and allows you to transfer all your WhatsApp data to your new phone number. The second option is through using unofficial versions of WhatsApp such as WhatsApp Plus or GBWhatsApp along with the official WhatsApp application.
What happens when you change WhatsApp number?
If you have decided to use the first option that I have mentioned above, you might want to know what will happen if you change your WhatsApp number, what changes will be made, and how your WhatsApp friends will be notified. Making use of the WhatsApp change number feature will:
- Your account information including your profile, along with groups and settings,will be moved from your old phone number to your new phone number.
- Delete the account related to your old mobile phone number, so that your contacts will no longer see your old cell number in their lists of WhatsApp contacts.
As long as you keep using the same cellphone, your WhatsApp chat history will be saved on your phone.
If you change your WhatsApp phone number, your contacts are not going to be notified of the change, only members that share group chats with you will see that you just changed your number. So your friends will not notice a change when you change your phone number.
Steps to change WhatsApp number
To be able to have the same steps as you see in this tutorial, you will first need to upgrade your WhatsApp application to its latest version. Once you are done, you can take the following steps to change WhatsApp number:
- On the first step, launch WhatsApp application on your phone and navigate to WhatsApp settings. To do so, tap on the three dots icon on the top of the screen to enter settings and then click on Accounts.
- Next, click on the Change Number option as you can see in the photo. On the next page, you will see some general information about changing WhatsApp number. Read them and click on Next.
- On the next step, you will need to enter your old WhatsApp phone number in the first field and your new phone number in the second field. Enter your phone numbers and click on Done.
- On the final step, a text message containing a 6-digit activation code will be sent to your new phone number. Enter the code in the field to activate your WhatsApp account on your new phone number.
I hope you found this tutorial article useful. If you have any questions or any trouble downloading the file, please don’t hesitate to mention it in the comments section.