In the digital world, our passwords are our keys to all our accounts in which we store a great sum of private information. For some of us, passwords can be a great burden as we tend to forget them or we don’t know how to pick a strong password. Like any other social media app, your Instagram application is password protected and if you forget your password, you will get locked out of your account. In this case, what you need to do is to change Instagram password to be able to login to your Instagram account.
In addition, many security experts recommend that if you want to enhance the security of your Instagram account, you should reset Instagram password every once in a while.
So, whether you have forgotten your password or you already know your password and you want to change it for security reasons, this tutorial article will be of great help as it will walk you through the steps to change Instagram password.
How to change Instagram password if you have forgot it?
Like any other application that requires you to create an account, Instagram has provided you with options you can use to reset your password. In fact, if you remember your email or if you have linked your Instagram account to your Facebook account, the steps to change your password are quite simple. Here is what you need to do to change Instagram password if you have forgotten your password:
- Launch Instagram application on your device.
- Right under the blue login button, tap on the Get help signing in button.
- On the next step, tap on Use username or email (you can also tap Send as SMS or Login with Facebook options if you have linked your mobile phone or your Facebook account before).
- Type your username or email address in the provided field
- Tap Send login link to receive an email containing your new password.
- Check your email inbox for an email from Instagram (You may need to loop up in your Spam folder if you can’t find it i your inbox).
- you’ll find a link below the Log Me In button entitled “reset your Instagram password here”.
- Tap the password reset link and you will be taken to a page where you can type in your new password.
- Type in your new password twice and tap on the Reset password button on the bottom of the page.
How to change Instagram password if you know your current password ?
As I mentioned before, changing your password every once in a while is a wise thing to do. This will help you make sure that your passwords are secure and your accounts are safe enough. So, if you already know your Instagram password but you’d like to reset it, you can do it from right inside your account. So, here is how you can do that:
- Launch Instagram application on your device
- Tap on your profile from the bottom menu
- On your profile, tap on the gear icon to enter settings
- Under Account section, tap on Password
- On the next page, type in your current password, your new password and repeat your new password
- Tap on Save to change your password
By taking these steps, you can easily reset your Instagram password.
Reset Instagram password without email or phone number
So far, you know that if you have forgotten your Instagram password, you will either need to have the email, phone number, or the Facebook account which is linked to your Instagram account.
Now, what if you have also forgotten your email and Facebook account and you have not linked your phone number? This is actually when you will get into trouble when you have not defined a recovery method for your account and now you are locked out of account.
In this situation, the first thing you can do is to try to remember or reset your Facebook or email password. As soon as you manage to access your email or Facebook account, you can easily change Instagram password. Also, the method that Instagram help center have advised for this situation is to contact your email service provider and try to reset your email password to be able to later reset your Instagram password through it.
An important point here is that you definitely need to know that there are no Instagram hacks to get into your Instagram account without knowing your password or your recovery methods. You may have encountered some hacking methods which claim they can help you hack into your Instagram account. But these methods are usually provided by scammers who aim at stealing your data or your money.