Technology has brought about many advantages to our daily lives and it has made doing things a lot simpler. The convenience that technology has brought to our lives is undeniable, however, it is not without its downsides too. Nowadays, almost everyone owns a cell phone and they take these smart gadgets with them almost every where. A lot of tasks have been simplified thanks to mobile phones but cell phone addiction is a serious problem for people of different ages. Are you a cell phone addict? Here are some of the signs and symptoms along with a test you can take to find out if you are addicted to your mobile phone.
Signs and symptoms of cell phone addiction
Cell phone addiction is not yet listed as a mental disorder, however, it’s seriousness is compared with gambling addiction. Internet addiction in teenagers can awfully ruin your kids’ lives. If you or your loved ones have these signs outlined below, you have the criteria for cell phone addiction.
- The feeling that you need to use your cell phone more and more often
- In the state of unwanted feelings such as anxiety or depression, you turn to your cell phone
- You lose the track of your time when you are using your phone
- Your relationship or your job is put at risk because of excessive use of cell phone
- Feelings of anger, tension and irritability when your cell phone is not within your reach
- Conscious use of cell phone in prohibited contexts such as while driving
- Noticeable physical, mental, social, work, or family disturbances due to excessive use of mobile phone
- Constant checking of cell phone even when there is no notification
- Preferring the cell phone to personal contacts
If you or your loved ones show a number of the above-mentioned symptoms, you need to take action to deal with cell phone addiction.
Physical effects of cell phone addiction
Excessive use of cell phones can cause different, and mostly serious physical problems. Some of these problems may even bring about permanent damages which are very difficult to treat.
- Eye problems – blurred vision, painful and itchy eyes, eye fatigue, headeaches
- Increased illnesses – Phones have been confirmed o be contaminated by bacteria which can cause various illnesses
- Car accidents – Texting and driving can be as dangerous as drinking and driving
- Infertility – Studies have revealed that cell phone radiation may decrease sperm count
Mental effects of cell phone addiction
It is not just your body that might be affected by the excessive use of cell phone. There are mental and psychological effects that can affect your life and your wellness greatly.
- Sleeping problems – Sleep disorders and insomnia can be caused by the blue light emitted by the cell phone screen
- Depression – Spending too much time on your cell phone can deprive you of healthy in-person relationships
- Relationship problems – Statistics have shown that excessive use of cell phones can damage people’s relationship
- Anxiety – Research has shown that people who are addicted to their mobile devices feel anxious when they are away from their mobile devices
Cell phone addiction test
There is no definite way to say if you are addicted to your phone or how addicted you are. However, showing some signs and symptoms can confirm that you need to do something about how much you are dependent on your mobile phone. Cell phone addiction tests that appear on the internet mostly examine you on how much you show the symptoms and they are generally relative to your response. Here are some of these test you can try. Remember, do not merely depend on the results you get from these tests.
Cell phone addiction treatment
Did you know that cell phone addiction is a compulsive behavior that works similar to substance addiction in the brain?
This type of addiction is a relatively new and there might not be a definite treatment for it. However, there are tips you can do or ask helps from others to help overcome it.
- Make rules for yourself, for example, set time limits during which you are not allowed to use your cell phone
- Use applications which are designed to help you to overcome your addiction such as Menthal
- Use relaxation techniques to overcome your craving for checking your social media feeds
- Read books which help you to overcome your cell phone addiction
- Take part in smartphone addiction therapy sessions