Most well-known social media applications has their own list of contacts aside from your own phone contacts. In that list of contacts, you can add a person who uses this application and start communicating with them. Some applications such as Telegram allows you to add contacts with a username even if you don’t have their phone number. Here is a tutorial on how to add Telegram contacts either with Telegram username or with phone number.
Add Telegram contacts
As there is the ability to delete Telegram contacts whenever you want, there is also the ability to add Telegram contacts. One point you need to remember here is that if you have someone’s phone number in your list of contacts, they will be synced to your Telegram contacts and there is no need to add them to your list of contacts on Telegram. However, you can add someone to your Telegram contacts without the need to add it to your phone contacts. You can even add someone without having their phone number and just by their Telegram username. Here are the steps to add someone to your Telegram contacts.
Add Telegram contacts with phone number
Of course, one way to add someone to your list of contacts on Telegram is to add their phone number in the list of contacts on your phone. Once a new contact is added to your phone, it will be synced and will appear on your Telegram contacts as well. However, if you are looking for a more straightforward method, I recommend that you add someone by phone number right from within the application.
Here are steps you will need to take.
- Run Telegram application on your phone
- Tap on Contacts to open your list of contacts
- To add a new contact, tap the “+” icon on the top right corner of the scree
- Enter the user’s name, last name, country code and phone number
- Tap the tick icon on top right corner to confirm and add the contact
By taking these simple steps, you can add Telegram contacts easily without the need to add them to your phone contacts. This is absolutely a simple method, however, you might not have the target person’s phone number. In this case, what you need to do is to add friend using Telegram ID.
Add Telegram contacts using Telegram ID
One of the ways that Telegram has devised for its users to offer them more security is the ability to chat with someone by just using their username. This will help you to keep your phone number private if you’d want to. Here are the steps you will need to take. Remember, this method will work only if you have the target person’s Telegram ID.
- Launch Telegram application on your phone
- Navigate to Contacts
- Tap the search box on top of the list and type down the Telegram username that you’d like to search
- If the contact exists in your list, their name will appear and you can tap on it to open a conversation with them
This method allows you to search for a particular contact without having their phone number. But how can we search for a particular contact using their ID while we do not have them in our contacts? Here’s what you can do.
- Launch Telegram application
- Open a chat conversation (You can open Saved Messages as well)
- Type an @ and then type the username after it (e.g. @dragon124)
- send the text so that it appears in the conversation
- The text will appear as a link. Tap on it and you will be navigated to a chat conversation with that particular contact
I hope you found this tutorial article useful. Please do ask your questions in the comments section if you have any.